From Git SCM Wiki
A collection of how Git compares to other version control software:
Git Wiki comparisons:
Git comparisons found on the web:
- Git vs. Mercurial - comparison between Git and Mercurial as a part of a blog series about version control.
- Git vs SVN - Which is Better?
- Better SCM Initiative: Comparison by Shlomi Fish (includes all systems that make sense, and some more).
Note that as of 1 Dec 2008 information about Git contained there is inaccurate.
- Version control systems comparison Another interface to Better SCM database.
- Blogpost comparing Git, Mercurial and Bazaar size
- Comparison of revision control software table at Wikipedia.
- InfoQ comparison of Git, Hg, and Bzr. (May 2008)
- RcsComparisons rev. 98 (user-oriented table, removed because it was of limited use), RCSChoices (table of the decisions), SCMComparisons (lists of features) and BzrVsGit at Bazaar-NG wiki.
- Quick Reference Guide to Free Software Decentralized Revision Control Systems by Zooko
- Comments on Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS) Software Configuration Management (SCM) Systems by David A. Wheeler, (April 10, 2004; lightly revised May 18, 2005). Git added at the very end of article.
- Source-code management on Linux - large list of SCMs with descriptions at Linux
- Mercurial 0.5b vs git is an old (before pack files in git) post by Matt Mackall benchmarking Mercurial (
hg) and comparing Mercurial, Git and Bit
- Version Control Shenanigans and More version control stuff Live
Journal articles by Bram Cohen, founder of Codeville and a current contributor.
- A look back: Bram Cohen vs Linus Torvalds on a Wincent Colaiuta's weblog describes mailing list thread in which Bram Cohen (of Codeville) and Linus Torvalds (of Git) discuss importance of merge algorithms.
- A Codeville user speaks on Matt Chisholm blog is a Codeville user response to Fraser Speirs post A Subversion User Looks at Git
- Source Code Management for OpenSolaris describes choosing SCM for Open
Solaris (Subversion for centralized SCM, Mercurial for distributed SCM was chosen).
- Distributed Source Code Management (DSCM) Requirements
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Mercurial (chosen as distributed SCM)
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Bzr (Interim Report)
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Git (Final Report, txt)
- Repository Formats Matter by Keith Packard, about moving X.Org from CVS to Git (and choosing Git over Mercurial), and the answer in the Mercurial wiki.
- Version control for Linux article by M. Tim Jones, at IBM's developerWorks is an overview of SCM architectures, models, and examples (CVS, Subversion, GNU Arch, Git).
- Whose Distributed VCS Is The Most Distributed? entry by John Goerzen compares chosen 8 "ideal VCS" features (author uses Darcs) against different common SCM: Arch (tla, baz, etc), Bazaar-NG (bzr), Darcs, Git, Mercurial (hg), and Subversion (svn). More on Git, Mercurial, and Bzr, bzr, again and Some more git, mercurial, and darcs compares those SCMs. Read also comments for those articles.
- Git and hg by Ted Tso is a reply to More on Git, Mercurial, and Bzr by John Goerzen, reaching different conclusion but agreeing with description of git shortcomings (ease-of-use and documentation shortcomings).
- What’s happening with Version Control Systems? from January 28, 2007 on Jared’s Blog talks about different SCM systems and gives highly subjective comparison table for Subversion, SVK, Git/Cogito, Mercurial, Bazaar-NG, Darcs and Perforce.
- Directory renaming in SCM on Maciej Bliziński blog checks this specific aspect, or rather adding file to directory renamed in other branch.
- Cyclopedia Square: Cutting Edge Revision Control:, on Bryan Murdock blog, comparez Bazaar-NG ('bzr'), Darcs, Mercurial ('hg') and Git in the terms of performance, usability and handling renames. See also other articles tagged revision control
- A Subversion User Looks at Git and A Subversion User Looks at Git - Part 2 (comments) on Fraser Speirs blog.
- Git vs. Mercurial - comparison of features.
- git-svn - using Git as subversion client
- Git Vs SVN by Michael Tsai
- Git Vs SVN by Sam Vilain
- Git Vs Hg by Ted Tso
- Git Vs Hg by Bart Trojanowski
- 7 Version Control Systems Reviewed in Smashing Magazine describes some of the top open-source SCM: CVS, Subversion (SVN), Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, LibreSource and Monotone, providing besides description also a few important links for each tool;
SCMs comparisons not including Git
- Subversion and CVS Comparison, includes Aegis, Arch, CVS, Subversion, SVK briefly compared table.
- The New Breed of Version Control Systems by Shlomi Fish, at O'Reilly ONLamp (CVS, Subversion, Arch, Open
CM, Aegis, Monotone, Bit
- Why I dislike Subversion on Michael Olson blog (more of a rant than comparison).