From Git SCM Wiki
Revision as of 22:52, 28 March 2010 by Knoppixmeister
A collection of how Git compares to other version control software:
Git Wiki comparisons:
Git comparisons found on the web:
- Git vs SVN - Which is Better?
- Better SCM Initiative: Comparison by Shlomi Fish (includes all systems that make sense, and some more).
Note that as of 1 Dec 2008 information about Git contained there is inaccurate.
- Version control systems comparison Another interface to Better SCM database.
- Blogpost comparing Git, Mercurial and Bazaar size
- Comparison of revision control software table at Wikipedia.
- InfoQ comparison of Git, Hg, and Bzr. (May 2008)
- RcsComparisons rev. 98 (user-oriented table, removed because it was of limited use), RCSChoices (table of the decisions), SCMComparisons (lists of features) and BzrVsGit at Bazaar-NG wiki.
- Quick Reference Guide to Free Software Decentralized Revision Control Systems by Zooko
- Comments on Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS) Software Configuration Management (SCM) Systems by David A. Wheeler, (April 10, 2004; lightly revised May 18, 2005). Git added at the very end of article.
- Source-code management on Linux - large list of SCMs with descriptions at Linux
- Mercurial 0.5b vs git is an old (before pack files in git) post by Matt Mackall benchmarking Mercurial (
hg) and comparing Mercurial, Git and Bit
- Version Control Shenanigans and More version control stuff Live
Journal articles by Bram Cohen, founder of Codeville and a current contributor.
- A look back: Bram Cohen vs Linus Torvalds on a Wincent Colaiuta's weblog describes mailing list thread in which Bram Cohen (of Codeville) and Linus Torvalds (of Git) discuss importance of merge algorithms.
- A Codeville user speaks on Matt Chisholm blog is a Codeville user response to Fraser Speirs post A Subversion User Looks at Git
- Source Code Management for OpenSolaris describes choosing SCM for Open
Solaris (Subversion for centralized SCM, Mercurial for distributed SCM was chosen).
- Distributed Source Code Management (DSCM) Requirements
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Mercurial (chosen as distributed SCM)
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Bzr (Interim Report)
- OpenSolaris DSCM Evaluation: Git (Final Report, txt)
- Repository Formats Matter by Keith Packard, about moving X.Org from CVS to Git (and choosing Git over Mercurial), and the answer in the Mercurial wiki.
- Version control for Linux article by M. Tim Jones, at IBM's developerWorks is an overview of SCM architectures, models, and examples (CVS, Subversion, GNU Arch, Git).
- Whose Distributed VCS Is The Most Distributed? entry by John Goerzen compares chosen 8 "ideal VCS" features (author uses Darcs) against different common SCM: Arch (tla, baz, etc), Bazaar-NG (bzr), Darcs, Git, Mercurial (hg), and Subversion (svn). More on Git, Mercurial, and Bzr, bzr, again and Some more git, mercurial, and darcs compares those SCMs. Read also comments for those articles.
- Git and hg by Ted Tso is a reply to More on Git, Mercurial, and Bzr by John Goerzen, reaching different conclusion but agreeing with description of git shortcomings (ease-of-use and documentation shortcomings).
- What’s happening with Version Control Systems? from January 28, 2007 on Jared’s Blog talks about different SCM systems and gives highly subjective comparison table for Subversion, SVK, Git/Cogito, Mercurial, Bazaar-NG, Darcs and Perforce.
- Directory renaming in SCM on Maciej Bliziński blog checks this specific aspect, or rather adding file to directory renamed in other branch.
- Cyclopedia Square: Cutting Edge Revision Control:, on Bryan Murdock blog, comparez Bazaar-NG ('bzr'), Darcs, Mercurial ('hg') and Git in the terms of performance, usability and handling renames. See also other articles tagged revision control
- A Subversion User Looks at Git and A Subversion User Looks at Git - Part 2 (comments) on Fraser Speirs blog.
- Git vs. Mercurial - comparison of features.
- An introduction to git-svn for Subversion/SVK users and deserters by Sam Vilain describes how to import from and work with Subversion repositories and SVK mirrors. Also describes why would one want to choose Git over Subversion.
- Git Vs SVN by Michael Tsai
- Git Vs SVN by Sam Vilain
- Git Vs Hg by Ted Tso
- Git Vs Hg by Bart Trojanowski
- 7 Version Control Systems Reviewed in Smashing Magazine describes some of the top open-source SCM: CVS, Subversion (SVN), Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, LibreSource and Monotone, providing besides description also a few important links for each tool;
SCMs comparisons not including Git
- Subversion and CVS Comparison, includes Aegis, Arch, CVS, Subversion, SVK briefly compared table.
- The New Breed of Version Control Systems by Shlomi Fish, at O'Reilly ONLamp (CVS, Subversion, Arch, Open
CM, Aegis, Monotone, Bit
- Why I dislike Subversion on Michael Olson blog (more of a rant than comparison).